Sunday, May 24, 2009

The First Post > Fáilte Isteach!

And so, here I am. The last man in my generation to get a cell phone is now the last man in my generation to post online for the world to see. Next stop: Facebook, before all my friends forget I'm even here.

You know what I'm absolutely lovin' right now? Juanes! on my http://www.last.fm/ account. Most specifically "A Dios le pido", with a fairly typical Juanes-type beat that can't leave you without swinging your hips and (if you don't already know Spanish) wishing you knew Spanish.

Current book of interest: Il Gattopardo by Leopardi. I hear there's even a classic black-and-white version of the movie. Go see it and tell me if it's a hit. It follows the sagacity of a Sicilian principe during the changeover of power due to the Italian Risorgimento, forming the current nation out of a number of weak kingdoms and city-states, changing the peninsula's identity in a way not known since the days of the crumbling Roman Empire...like a thin veneer that is; in substance, nothing really changes at all, and the "new" nation is taken with the same I'll-do-what-I-need-to-for-survival-and-enjoy-a-good-red-wine-with-my-bruschetta [and a] grain of salt that comically characterizes Italian life and literature.

Best latest movies seen: X-Men: Origins and the new Star Trek; and I saw Amélie again, and still find it better with every new viewing. Never seen it? Can you stand subtitles? Sooo worth it. And you'll even love accordion music by the time the credits roll (but don't let that scare you away...).

And never ever ever watch a movie called "Cowboy Junction" if you at all value your short time on earth.

Live long and prosper.

Sin sin, a chairde! Beidh mé le fáil arís ar ball!

1 comment:

Thom Simmons said...

Ciamar a tha thu?!

Thom (Tully) here....apparently we have a LOT to talk about...in many languages! I used to teach French, can get by in Spanish, limp along in German, and have taken Scots Gaelic lessons; can't speak it well, but i can read it! Where are you guys located?!